Most residential builders must have a state credential. Electricians, plumbers and some specialty trades must have a state credential.

How do I get certified as a Wisconsin Dwelling Contractor Qualifier? How to Obtain Certification for a Wisconsin Dwelling Contractor

  1. Complete an approved 12 Hour Qualifier Course. Finish a 12-hour qualifier course.
  2. Complete Wisconsin license application.
    1. Dwelling Contractor (for the Business) and
    2. Dwelling Contractor Qualifier (for the Individual) applications.
      You will be required to complete both of the applications.
  1. You can get application by going to the state site to obtain the application. The links for the application will be included with the 12-hour courses.

Certification for Dwelling Contractor Qualifier: Who Needs It?

Wisconsin Dwelling Contractors will need to obtain or hire an individual who has a Dwelling Contractor Qualifier certification to be able to obtain building permits for 1-2 family dwellings. To be able to gain this certification, you will need to finish a 12-hour initial qualifier course which has already been approved by Wisconsin Safety and Buildings Division. After obtaining the certification, you will need to finish a 12-hour continued education course that is approved. You will need to take this course during each of the two year periods to stay certified.

Continued Education: Is it Required to Keep My Certification?

Yes, it is. You will be required to finish 12 hours of state-approved education each two-year licensing periods. The 12 hours are able to be broken up or they can be taken in one course.

After completing the education and after you supplied your qualifier license number, your completion will be reported to the State of Wisconsin.

Wisconsin Contractor Certification: How to Renew

Wisconsin will send out a notice of renewal 4-6 weeks prior to your date of renewal. This date will be 3months before your expiration date.

  • Cards will be sent out to those who have finished their CE.
  • Paper renewals will be sent to individuals who need to finish their CE.
  • When each requirement is met, the renewals will be mailed with a license number, as well as an expiration date for the license.

On Time Renewal Fees

  • Dwelling Contractors (Business) One year for $25
  • Dwelling Contractor Qualifier (Individual) with CE completed Two years for $30.

Late Renewals

  • Dwelling Contractor Qualifier with CE completed renewing during 90 days preceding  expiration $30 renewal + $25 late fee = $55
  • Other fees will be added for later renewals.

Dwelling Contractor Certification: Who to Contact at the State of Wisconsin?

The dwelling contractor certification will be regulated by the state of Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services.

State of Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services 

Department of Safety and Professional Services

Trades Continuing Education

NOTE: Only courses approved by the Department of Safety and Professional Services will count towards your continuing education requirements.  Please check with the course provider prior to registering for a course to ensure that it is approved for your credential type. The courses indicated on our website are those requested by providers to be posted; it is not an all-inclusive list of all courses approved. The courses listed are only those requested by course providers to be posted on our website as approved continuing education courses.  Also, there is no guarantee that a course you want to take on this list is currently available. It is your responsibility as the licensee to verify that the continuing education courses you complete for your WI credential are recognized under Wisconsin Administrative SPS 305 and to contact providers for program availability.

Question: How do I register my construction company in Wisconsin? 

 Register your Wisconsin Business With:

Wisconsin Department of Financial Institutions
PO Box 93348
Milwaukee, WI 53293-0348


(608) 261-7577


What forms do I need to register my new company in Wisconsin?

Register your Business in Wisconsin                  

Forms   Tax Forms  


Question: How do I look up a company in Wisconsin or see if a company name is available to register?  

Answer: Use this link to see if your company name is available in Wisconsin Entity Search