Specialty and General Contractors will not require a license from the State of Washington. Plumbers and Electricians will need to have a license from the state. Although, there are specific trades that will require registration with Washington Department of Labor and Industries. It is best to check with the local county and city for regulations and requirements.

To do construction work in Washington you must register with the Washington Department of Labor and Industries. Electricians and plumbers must be licensed.

Washington Contractor License Requirements

General and Specialty contractors do not require a license from the state of Washington.  Electricians and Plumbers must be licensed by the state.

If you plan to demolish or wreck, move, flip homes, develop property, repair, alter, remodel, or construct for another person, you will need to register with Washington Department of Labor and Industries. This will apply to any similar work, including floor covering or painting.

Check with your local county or city regulations.

How to Obtain Registration in Washington as a Contractor

To be able to register for becoming a general contractor, you will need to:

  1. Register with Washington Secretary of State. You can visit their website: http://www.sos.wa.gov/corps/
  2. Finish the Business License Application to get a UBI#. It can be found via the website:  http://bls.dor.wa.gov/
  3. Get an IRS Employer ID#  only if you plan to hire employees. You can visit the website: http://www.irs.ustreas.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fss4.pdf
  4. Submit your Application for Contractor Registration. Be sure it is notarized. You can also go to: http://www.lni.wa.gov/FormPub/Detail.asp?DocID=1872
  5. Purchase an assignment or surety bond of account –http://www.lni.wa.gov/TradesLicensing/Contractors/HowReg/default.asp#6
  6. Send in your application, along with a registration fee

Send in to:  Department of Labor & Industries
       Submit it in person at local L&I office: http://www.lni.wa.gov/Main/ContactInfo/OfficeLocations/  

For Electrical licensing, visit:  http://www.lni.wa.gov/TradesLicensing/Electrical/LicenseExamEd/
For Plumbing licensing, visit:to: http://www.lni.wa.gov/TradesLicensing/Plumbing/Certification/default.asp

Experience, Exam, or Education Requirements: Does Washington Require Them For Registration?

No, they don’t for general contractor registration. Exams, experience, and education will be required for plumbing and electrical licenses.

Is contractor continued education required in Washington?

No, not for General contractor registration.  Your registration expires when your insurance expires or two years after you register or renew, whichever comes first.  Electrical and plumbing licenses require continued education.

NASCLA Commercial Contractor License: IS This Accredited License Accepted in Washington?


General Contractor, Commercial Contractor License: Does Washington Require It?

No, but they will need to register. It is best to check with your local county and city regulations and requirements.

Is there Any Reciprocity With Any Other States?

Any out-of-state corporations or contractors will need to refer to the Washington State website for regulations and requirements.

Contracting Without Registration: What Are The Penalties For a Contractor?

Labor and industries need to levy a minimum penalty that amounts to $1,000 for first offenses. The job you are working on could be possibly shut down as well.

Question: How do I register my construction company in Washington? 

 Register your Washington Business With:

Washington Secretary of State
801 Capitol Way S PO Box 40234
Olympia, WA 98504-0234




What forms do I need to register my new company in Washington?

Register your Business in Washington                 

Forms   Tax Forms  


Question: How do I look up a company in Washington or see if a company name is available to register?  

Answer: Use this link to see if your company name is available in Washington Entity Search