Electrical, plumbing, asbestos abatement, home improvement and refrigeration and air conditioning contractors must be licensed to work in the District of Columbia.
How to Obtain Registration to Be a Washington DC Contractor
Home Improvement Contractor
A license will be required for any home improvement work for any contracts that total over $300.
You will need to contact the following:
Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs
Business and Professional Licensing Administration
Business application/processing requirements:
- Application for a basic business license.
- Certificate for Occupancy and Compliance regarding regulations for zoning.
- Meet the requirements for corporations division. For further instructions for registering, you can visit http://www.dcra.dc.gov and then click on the “corporate registration”.
- a Clean Hands certification – This certification shows that you don’t owe an exceeding amount of $100 to District of Columbia government, in a result of taxes, interest, penalties, or fees.
- Obtain an Office of Tax Revenue registration. Submit and send in a combined business tax registration application – form FR500.
- Obtain a police criminal history report – Form PD70
- Obtain a surety bond for an amount of $5,000 for a period of two licensing years.
- Property Damage and Public Liability Insurance Certificate will be needed. You will be required to have insurance for public liability for a total amount of $100,000. The property damage will need to total $50,000 for a two year licensing period.
- Obtain contract samples. You will need to send in two already printed sets of your contract forms, or even receipt forms in with your application.
- You will need to make a list of salespersons who are working for your company. You will need to send in at least one application for a Home Improvement Salesperson.
License fee for home improvement business – The fee of the application will be $35 and the license will cost $167. You will be required to pay an endorsement fee of $10. The license will remain in effect for two years.
for Home Improvement Salesperson Application:
- Application for Basic Business License
- Clean Hands Certification. This will certify that you won’t owe an exceeding amount of $100 to District of Columbia government and have it result in taxes, interest, penalties, or fees.
- Obtain registration for the Office of Tax Revenue. Submit a Combined Business Tax Registration Application, and it will be form FR500. For further information, contact the Tax Customer Center.
- Obtain a police criminal history report – Form PD 70.
- Obtain Digital passport photographs.
- Submit proof of an Issued business license.
- Obtain an affidavit. This will need to be completed by a contractor who is located within the Metropolitan area of the District of Columbia. They will also have to hold a license and will need to certify that the applicant will gain employment by the contractor for the title of “home improvement salesperson”.
Fee For Home Improvement Salesperson – There will be a $25 fee for an application. There is a $167 fee for a license. You will also need to pay an endorsement fee of $10. The license will be good for two licensing years.