Each general contractor will not require licensure from Vermont. It is best to check with your local county or city for the regulations and requirements. The state will require that all plumbers and electricians need to obtain license, as well as be certified for Asbestos and lead abatement.

Contractors need to be certified to do asbestos or lead abatement and licensed to do electrical or plumbing work.

How to Obtain a Vermont Contractor License

Each general contractor will not be licensed at a state level. For further information regarding starting a business in Vermont,go with the local county and city for regulations and requirements for a plumbers and electrician license – contact Division of Fire Safety for more information.  Contact the Office of the State Fire Marshal at:
Contact Vermont Department of Health regarding Asbestos and lead paint abatement, as well as lead poisoning prevention at the following: 

Experience, Exam, or Education Requirements: Are There Any to Obtain a License in Vermont?

No, not for the state level. The general contractors will need to check with the local county and city for further requirements. Exams, experience, and training/education will be required for asbestos and lead abatement, plumbing, electrical, and other specialty trades. It is best to check with the above website regarding requirements.

Continued Education: Is it Required in The State of Vermont?

An Asbestos and Lead Abatement certification will need to be renewed each year and will need a refresher course once each three years. An electrical license will renew every three years. It will also require 15 hours of code for a Master and Journeyman electrician, as well as a minimum of eight hours for a type S journeyman with their specialty – the max would be 15 hours if the individual were licensed in 3 or more fields. A plumbing license will need to be renewed each every two years. It will require continued education for eight hours.

NASCLA Commercial Contractor License: Is This Accredited License Accepted in The State of Vermont?


General Contractor, Commercial Contractor License: Does Vermont Require This?

It is best to check with the local and county municipalities.

Is There Any Reciprocity With Any Other States?

An electrical license will have reciprocity with Maine and New Hampshire. Each application regarding certification for Asbestos and Lead Abatement who is permitted, certified, or licensed within another state will need to petition the Department to grant a certification without the repetition of training requirements that are provided by a training course that was taken after September in the year of 1990. An individual that holds a plumbers license from another municipality or state may be exempt from the exam in the state of Vermont, depending on the requirements to receive their license. They are the same as to those in Vermont.

Burlington, VT

Before starting any work on a construction project in the City of Burlington, Vermont, contractors willbe required to hold the proper permits on-hand at the job site.  In most cases, a building permit will be required, and in certain cases a zoning permit will be required.  Building permits will be issued by the Burlington Department of Public Works.

Building permits are required for each type of construction in the City of Burlington, which includes, but is not limited to:

  • Installation  or Replacement of Roofing and Siding
  • Installation  or Replacement of Stockade Fencing
  • Installation for Wood-Burning Heating Units
  • Removal of a Current Building

To receive a building permit, a contractor will need complete and send in an application, along with the documents, proper fees and construction plans for the project.  For an additional copy of the building permit application, please visit: 

The Department of Public Works will accept hand-drawn construction plans for smaller types of projects.  For larger projects, A contractor will need the assistance of a registered professional in the State of Vermont, for example- as an engineer or architect, to develop their construction plans.

The details that are required in the construction plans depend on the size of each project.  Although, each project plan must indicate the following:

  • List of Project Materials
  • Identification regarding areas of the project
  • Elevation
  • Floor Plans

There will be a minimum fee to receive a building permit within the City of Burlington, and it is $20. Fees will be calculated at $8.50 for each $1,000 of an estimated cost for a project. Department of Public Works will accept each fee payment as a check, and it must be made out to “DPW/ISD.”

When the Department of Public works sends out the building permit, it will show the type of inspection that the contractor should go for with their project. Each permit will need to explain if a Certificate of occupancy will be required. A building inspector will date and sign a contractor’s copy of the permit when the project is finished. A contractor should keep a signed copy in their records.

Montpelier, VT

Each contractor who works in the city of Montpelier, Vermont will need to receive a building permit from the Montpelier Building Department. A building permit will be needed for the below types of work:

  • Moving a Building
  • Demolition
  • Renovations
  • Alterations
  • Installations
  • New Construction and Erection of a Building
A permit will be needed, but not limited to installation of solar panels, installation of new electrical and heating equipment, and installation of new gypsum/wall board

A building inspector will decide if a permit will be needed and to make sure that the contractor’s project will be within compliance with ordinances and codes within the city of Montpelier.

Due to the building department requiring each contractor to send in construction plans with their permit application, it is crucial to contact a building inspector for the early planning stages of each project, in order to tell what type of construction plans are needed.

The size of the project will determine the level of detail that will be required with a contractor construction plan. If a contractor is working on a larger project, the help from an engineer or architect that is licensed in Vermont will be needed to develop construction plans. Contractors will need to submit two complete sets of their construction plans with permit fees and a completed application.

A building permit will be sent out per a project basis and will be good for one whole year. If a contractor is still working on a project towards the end of a permit period, they will need to send in a written request in order to have the permit extended or renewed before the expiration date. There will be no additional cost to extend or renew a building permit within the city of Montpelier.

Rutland City, VT

Contractors in Rutland City, Vermont will be required to receive a building permit from the Rutland City Building and Zoning Department. 

The Building & Zoning Department also handles building inspections, as well as the issuing of certificates of occupancy, along withzoning permits.  In addition to a building permit, contractors will need to obtain a zoning permit, in most cases.

A building permit is neede for all types of construction, including residential and commercial projects.  This ensures that each contractor is working in compliance with codes and ordinances in Rutland City.  Permits will be required, but not limited to the following types of projects:

  • New Construction
  • Renovations
  • Demolition
  • Changes of Use

A permit is required to demolish, construct, alter, or repair or repair the following:

  • Pools
  • Decks
  • Sheds
  • Additions
  • Accessory Buildings and Structures 

Brattleboro, VT

Contractors working on a construction project in Brattleboro, Vermont will need to receive the proper zoning permits from the Town of Brattleboro Planning Services Department.  A zoning permit is needed to participate within the following construction types:

  • Residential or Commercial Construction
  • Demolition
  • Re-building an Existing Building
  • Adding Square Footage to an Existing Building or Structure
This will include accessory and deck buildings

Contractors will need to plan their projects accordingly, as it takes approximately 30 days to apply for and receive a zoning permit.  All contractors will need to send in their construction plans, as well as a completed application and the required fees to the Planning Services Department.

*Please, if you have any questions regarding the building inspection process, or any commercial construction projects, direct them to Brian Johnson at Fire and Safety for Windham County. 

Each contractor that is participating in the demolition or renovation of buildings with lead-based paints or asbestos will be required to be familiar with city and law ordinances for dealing with these hazardous materials.

Question: How do I register my construction company in Vermont? 

 Register your Vermont Business With:

Vermont Secretary of State
128 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05633-1104


(802) 828-2386


What forms do I need to register my new company in Vermont?

Register your Business in Vermont                 

Forms   Tax Forms  


Question: How do I look up a company in Vermont or see if a company name is available to register?  

Answer: Use this link to see if your company name is available in Vermont Entity Search