Important:  The Oregon CCB will have updates regarding the contractor examination in the Spring of 2015. They will also be transitioning to the Contractor Reference Manual, the 11th Edition. The CCB will additionally be switching the company to PSI from Prometric for the company that gives out the examination.

If you’re paid for any construction activity, you need to register with the Oregon Construction Contractors Board.

How to Obtain an Oregon Contractor License

 To receive a license to be a contractor in Oregon you will need to:

  1. Finish the prerequisite exam prep training that takes 16 hours. (You will need to apply within 24 months of successfully finishing the training)
  2. Pass and register the Construction Contractors Board’s statewide test.
    NOTE: We will send in a report of completion to the State the following business day, after you successfully finish the course.  There will be a wait of three business days prior to Prometric, which is the testing company and before they will allow you to take your exam. Contact them to register at 1-800-462-8669 FREE or you can register via the website at www.prometric.com.
  3. Send in your projected business name at the Oregon Corporation Division
  4. Obtain and send in a CCB surety type bond in the suggested amount(s).
  5. Obtain and send in proof of general liability insurance in the required amount.
  6. Send in evidence of worker’s compensation, as well as other employer account numbers, if at all applicable.
  7. Apply and receive the State Business Identification Number  from the Oregon Dept. of Revenue. Be sure to include it with your application.
  8. Receive a Federal EIN directly from the IRS.  Never substitute a Social Security Number for an EIN number with us.
  9. Send in a successfully completed CCB application, attached with a fee of $325, which will cover two years. You can find applications at:

Oregon Construction Contractors Board
Website:  http://www.oregon.gov/ccb

There are three different license endorsements, which are Commercial, Residential, and both Commercial & Residential. Once you have chosen an endorsement, there is a requirement to choose a classification, which must also be listed with descriptions within the application.

Experience, Exam, or Education Requirements: Are There Any for a Contractor License in Oregon?

Yes, there are requirements.  Each license applicant will need to have one Responsible Managing Individual (RMI) who will be held responsible when it comes to completing the training for a minimum of 16 hours. The training will be from CCB, and will be by approved training providers and you will be required to passi the Oregon state CCB test or for having proof it is not required to take the training and test. This can be done by having proper documentation of having the necessary experience.  When the RMI has finished the training, the provider for training will send the training information regarding completion to the CCB.  The RMI must also pass the necessary exam that is by Prometric Inc.  The total cost to take the exam is $85.  If you have any further questions about this exam, it is best to reach Prometric at: 1-800-462-8669 FREE or via the website at:  www.prometric.com.  The test and course is not required if you meet each of the requirements for your qualified experience.

Who needs an Oregon Contractor License?

Oregon law requires anyone who works for compensation (except bona fide employees) in any construction activity involving improvements to real property to be licensed with the Oregon Construction Contractors Board (CCB)

Some examples are:

  • Siding
  • Roofing
  • Carpentry
  • Painting
  • Plumbing
  • Electrical
  • Floor Covering
  • Heating and Air Conditioning
  • Manufactured Dwelling Installations
  • Tree Service
  • Land development
  • On-Site Appliance Repair
  • Home Inspections
  • Most Other Repair and Construction Services

The following work will Not require a license:

  • Power/Pressure Wash (Roofs, Sidewalks, Siding, etc.
  • Cleaning Up of Debris (construction site or yard). If the work happens to change and include any type of repairs, installs, or replacements, a license of CCB will be required.
  • Gutter Cleaning

The following will mean you will be exempt from needing a license (ORS 701.010[4]) An individual working on a single structure if:

  • The price of an individual’s work will need to be under the amount of $500
  • The work is inconsequential, minor, or casual in nature.
  • The exemption will not apply to an individual who advertises.

What Changes Will Happen With the Exam After the CCB Updates?

The Oregon CCB Contractor examination will have a transition period in the Spring of 2015.

  • April 7, 2015 —The exam will move to the Oregon Contractors Reference Manual, the 11th Edition. The 10th edition will not be able to be used for the exam after the date of April 7th.
  • May 1, 2015 —The examination will not be though the Prometric. It will now be PSI exams who will be giving the exam and registering students. To register or contact PSI:

PSI Exams
Website:  https://candidate.psiexams.com/index.jsp

  • May 18, 2015 —. The PSI exams will begin the new testing with the Oregon CCB exam.

How to Obtain an Application Form for a License With Oregon CCB?

Any forms and information regarding licensure can be found via the website.

The link above will have additional information regarding the updates for your information regarding licensure, as well as the lead pain renovation application.

Contractor Continued Education: Is it a Requirement Within the State of Oregon?

Yes, this is a requirement for the State of Oregon. The following CE hours will be required for each two-year period for licensure.


If you have held your license for less than six years and the RMI also has less than six years of experience.

Subject Area Hours
CCB Laws, Regulations, and Business Practices (LRB) 3
Series A courses (Construction business practices, safety and building codes) 5
Series A courses (as above) or Series B courses (Trade practices and energy efficiency) 8
Total 16

If you had held your license for 6+ years, or if your RMI has held six or more years of experience.

Subject Area Hours
CCB Laws, Regulations, and Business Practices (LRB) 3
Series A courses (Construction business practices, safety and codes) 5
Total 8

The following are exempt from requirements for continuing education:

The following types of contractors will not be required to take continuing education:

    • Contractors who are owned by or who have an officer whom is registered as a licensed professional engineer or architect.
    • Electrical contractors and plumbing contractors with active and current licenses will be issued from the Building Codes Division.
    • Residential Developers

Applying Older Courses to Newer Requirements

You may not be able to count the classes in which are completed after the last renewal, and before January 1st, 2014 for newer requirements. For example:

    • Any electives you took within the past will substitute for a B series class.
    • Building codes and Building Exterior Shell Training classes will count towards the A series course requirements.
    • The business practices, regulations, and state laws class will carry forward.

Other Situations for Renewal

Contractors who are in the following situations will have different requirements for education:

    • If you are planning to renew a license that expired before the date of Jan. 1, 2014
    • If your license is set to be expired between the dates of Oct. 1, 2013, and Dec. 31, 2013
    • If your license expired before the date of Oct. 1, 2013

Don’t Wait Too Long Before Completing Classes

Many issues that contractors typically report to us will stem from them waiting until the last minute to renew their license. Then they find problems with continuing education. For example:

    • Education requirements will change. You have a chance of finding out that you will need a class you have yet to take, or you may even misunderstand the requirements.
    • Providers who offer A series courses will need to provide us proof of class completion. If you wait until your license is set to expire, you may miss the deadline.


Each CCB will commercially endorse any contractors who renew their commercial CCB license. The training may be taken by a key employee of a business. Commercial contractor CE will now be a part of requirements for any continued licensing with CCB.

The commercial licenses will hold no A series, B, or Law, Rules, as well as Business Practice Requirements. Each licensee will be required to keep all proof of completion regarding continuing education.

Commercial Contractor Level 1

All Required Electives:

    • 5 or more Key Employees = 80 Hours Required
    • 4 Key Employees = 64 Hours Required
    • 3 Key Employees = 48 Hours Required
    • 2 Key Employees = 32 Hours Required
    • 1 Key Employee = 16 Hours Required

Commercial Contractor Level 1, Including Residential

Five hours will need to be in mandatory subject areas: 

    • Two hours of courses for Building Codes
    • Three hours for Regulations, and Laws ( These will be offered by only the State of Oregon.)

The Electives Will Include:

    • 5+ Key Employees = 75 Hours Required
    • 4 Key Employees = 59 Hours Required
    • 3 Key Employees = 43 Hours Required
    • 2 Key Employees = 27 Hours Required
    • 1 Key Employee = 11 Hours Required

Level 2 Commercial Contractors

The Electives:

    • Any # of Key Employees = 32 Hours Required

Commercial Contractor Level 2, including Residential

    • Any # of Key Employees: 

Five hours must be in the following subject areas*Mandatory*: 

    • Two hours of courses for Building Codes
    • Three hours of CCB’s Practices, Regulations, and Laws  (These are offered by only Oregon state)

Electives: 27 hours are within discretionary subjects.

Continuing Education Requirements for Residential and Commercial Contractor License

If you have a license for residential and commercial work, you will be required to complete the continuing education for both commercial and residential licenses. Continuing education hours that are taken for residential licenses will also apply to commercial requirements.

Expiration and Renewal of Oregon CCB License

The Oregon CCB license will set to expire two years from the date that the contractor had first got the license.

The renewal process will be once every two years. The CCB will send out a renewal form 6-8 weeks before the licensee’s date of expiration.

Continuing education will need to be finished before renewing. To check out what the individual’s continuing education requirements are, check out the CCB’s Residential Education Requirements Estimator.

Continued Education Courses: Are They Approved in Oregon?

Click here to view Oregon Series A Course State Approval Notices

Click here to view Oregon Series B Course State Approval Notices

General Contractor License: Does Oregon Require One for Commercial Work?

Yes, Oregon does require it. Commercial general level 1 or 2. You will need to renew your license once every two years.

Working While Not Licensed: What Are The Penalties?

The violations for continuing to work while not having a proper license, or even working within the wrong classification may result within civil penalties, totaling up to $5,000 per each offense.

NASCLA Commercial Contractor: Is This Accredited License Accepted in Oregon?


Is There Any Reciprocity With Any Other States?

No, not at this time.  All out-of-state contractors must complete the training and pass the Oregon test.

No, there is not at this time. Each out-of-state contractor is required to finish the training and successfully pass the test for Oregon.


Additional Materials

To order an Oregon Contractor Manual, call Builders Book Depot at 800.284.3434 FREE.

Information about licensing is available on the licensing agency Web site. The links below take you out of the Prometric Web site and into the agency site; a new browser window will open when you click a link.

State Website www.oregon.gov/CCB

Changes and corrections to the current reference manual is located on the state’s Web site at http://www.oregon.gov/CCB/education/Pages/continuing-ed.aspx

Spanish Manual
Please note: The Spanish version of the 11th Edition of Oregon Contractors Manual will be available approximately April 1st 2015.

Question: How do I register my construction company in Oregon? 

 Register your Oregon Business With:

Oregon Office of the Secretary of State
Public Service Building, Suite 151, 255 Capitol Street NE
Salem, OR 97310


(503) 986-2200


What forms do I need to register my new company in Oregon?

Register your Business in Oregon                  

Forms   Tax Forms  


Question: How do I look up a company in Oregon or see if a company name is available to register?  

Answer: Use this link to see if your company name is available in Oregon Entity Search