There is a requirement for Nebraska Contractor Registration Act and it is that subcontractors and contractors who do their business within the state of Nebraska, as well as earn $5,000 plus each year will need to register with Nebraska Department of Labor.

All contractors doing business in counties with a population of 100,000 or more need a license to do business. Nonresident contractors doing business in Nebraska must register with the Nebraska Secretary of State and the Nebraska Department of Revenue. You’ll find information on the Secretary of State under the heading Out-of-State Corporations. Electricians have to be licensed.

How to Obtain Registration as a Contractor Within Nebraska

Application for registration and information may be obtained from: To obtain an application for registration, you can do so below:

Nebraska Department of Labor
Labor Law/Contractor Registration

There will be a $40 fee for registration that will need to be included with your application.

Each contractor who has more than one employee will need to provide their certification of insurance for Workers’ Compensation. 

It’s beneficial to contactor your local or county municipality for any further regulations.

Experience, Exam, or Education Requirements: Are There Any for a Contractors License Within Nebraska?

No, there are not right now.

Contractor Continued Education: Is This Required Within Nebraska?

No, not at this time.  You will receive a renewal letter from the Department of Labor with instructions No, this is not required right now. Each person will receive a letter for renewal from Department of Labor for instructions on how to enter with your voucher number and registration number you have from the state. The renewal fee is $40.00 and this will need to be paid  each year when you renew.

NASCLA Commercial Contractor Accredited License: Is This Accepted in the State of Nebraska?


General Contractor, Commercial Contractor License: Does the State of Nebraska Require This?

Each contractor will need to register. A contractor is known as someone who does construction business, as well as general contractors and subcontractors and anyone else who is working on real property.

Is There Any Reciprocity With Any Other States?

Any out-of-state contractors are required to have proof of in-state contact information for a registered agent, an entity or person who is designed to handle the important taxes, as well as legal documents on behalf of a company. A registered agent will need to be available and located at a legal address at all times.

Question: How do I register my construction company in Nebraska? 

 Register your Nebraska Business With:

Nebraska Secretary of State
PO Box 94608
Lincoln, NE 68509-4608


(402) 471-4079


What forms do I need to register my new company in Nebraska?

Register your Business in Nebraska                  

Forms   Tax Forms  


Question: How do I look up a company in Nebraska or see if a company name is available to register?  

Answer: Use this link to see if your company name is available in Nebraska Entity Search