Subcontractors and construction contracts who have projects and employees that value $2,500 plus will need to register with Montana Department of Labor & Industry. A construction contractor is referred to as someone who takes away or adds to a project development, excavation, railroad, road, highway, or structure, or even makes improvements with real estate.

All construction contractors and subcontractors must register with the Department of Labor and Industry if they have employees. Those contractors without employees may register, but are not required to do so.

How to Become Registered as a Montana Contractor

Any further information, as well as applications for contractor registrations can be found below:

Montana Department of Labor & Industry Construction Contractor Registration Unit

Each person who registers will also need to provide a fee of $53, as well as proof for Worker’s Compensation coverage, along with the application.

It’s also beneficial to contact your local or county municipality for further regulations.

Experience, Education, or Exam Requirements: Are There any Requirements for a Contractors License in Montana?

No, there are no requirements right now.

Contractor Continued Education: Is it a Requirement for Montana?

No, not on the state level.  The Construction Contractor Registration is good for 2 years.

 NASCLA Commercial Contractor License: Is the Accredited License Accepted in Montana?


General Contractor, Commercial Contractor License: Does the State of Montana Require This?

Montana has a requirement that contractors with employees must register.

Does Montana Have any Reciprocity With Any Other States?

The Montana workers’ compensation law will now allow any coverage from another state for workers compensation plans within the construction industry. For each worker in Montana, it’s important to know that you will need a workers’ compensation policy specifically for the state of Montana. If anyone holds a “bid only” certificate, they will be required to upgrade to an employer status before they are able to have employees working under them.

Question: How do I register my construction company in Montana? 

 Register your Montana Business With:

Montana Secretary of State
PO Box 202801
Helena, MT 59620-2801


(406) 444-3665


What forms do I need to register my new company in Montana?

Register your Business in Montana                  

Forms   Tax Forms  


Question: How do I look up a company in Montana or see if a company name is available to register?  

Answer: Use this link to see if your company name is available in Montana Entity Search