Each general construction contractor will not be regulated by the state of Kansas, except on a local level with municipalities or counties.

With the exception of asbestos abatement and water well drilling, Kansas doesn’t license construction contractors at the state level. But you should check for licensing requirements at the local level. 

How to Obtain Registration in the State of Kansas

Any non-resident subcontractors and contractors will need to register with Department of Revenue, with contracts exceeding $10,000. The corporations that are authorized within Kansas will not be required to register any contracts. The registration will need to be completed by contacting the following:

Department of Revenue; Director of Taxation Registration

You should also contact the local municipality or county.

Experience, Exam, or Education Requirements: Getting the Contractor License in Kansas

No, there are no requirements during this time. Check with local municipality and county for any regulations.

Continued Education: Does Kansas Require It?

No, not for the state level.  Check in with the  local municipality and county regulations

NASCLA Accredited Commercial Contractor: Does Kansas Accept This License?


General Contractor Commercial Contractor: Does Kansas Require This License?

Check with the local municipalities and county.

Does Kansas Have any Reciprocity With Different States?

Check with local municipalities and county.

Below are the regulations and rules for some of the larger cities within Kansas state.

Wichita, KS

Contractors within Wichita, Kansas are needed to obtain a license from the Metropolitan Area Building & Construction Department.  The Department offers the below license General Contractors classifications:

  • Class A General Contractors License:This allows a contractor to build, contract, alter, repair, add onto or demolish any building or structure.  The licensure classification allows a contractor to work on both residential and commercial buildings.  
  • Class B Building Contractor License:This allows a contractor to erect, build, remodel, demolish, or add on too commercial buildings and single or multi-unit residential buildings, which are three stories or less in height.
  • Class C Residential Contractor:This allows a contractor to repair, construct, remodel or demolish one and two-family homes, as well as accessory buildings.
*The Building & Construction Department also offer several specialty contractor licenses, such as electrical, plumbing, sign and maintenance, etc.  

Each contractor is required to choose a person within their company to pass a qualifying exam.  The individual that the contractor chooses referred to as the “Qualifying Person.”  Sole proprietors and business owners proprietors may act as their own qualifying person.  Others who can act as a qualifying person include:

  • A company owner
  • Full-time employee who meets the requirements for the Wichita/Sedgwick County Building and Trade Code.

*A full-time employee is known as someone who works 30+ hours each week.  

The qualifying individual is required to sign the contractor’s license application.  Contractors must also submit proof of general liability insurance with their application, in the minimum amount of $300,000, and will be per occurrence.  If the contractor owns a vehicle for company-use and plans to hire workers, they are required to submit proof of worker’s compensation and automobile liability insurance.  All insurance providers are required to be licensed to do business in the State of Kansas.

If the contractor chooses to be licensed within the city, but not the county, they are not able to conduct business outside city limits.  If the contactor chooses to be licensed within the county, but not the city, they are not able to to conduct business within the city limits.

Licenses will remain good for a period of two years within the City of Wichita, KS.  All licenses are set to expire on the date of December 31st.  Contractors have until January 31st to renew their license, and will need to prove that their insurance is up-to-date, without facing any penalties.

Kansas City, KS

To be able to operate as a General Contractor in Kansas City, KS and Wyandotte County, businesses and individuals are required to hold a business license from the City License Administrator.

The Wyandotte County Business License Division regulates the construction industry in Kansas City by ensuring that each business is in good standing within the city.  The Division also sets standards and requirements that each contractor must meet to hold a license.  They also ensure that contractors pay their occupational taxes for each year.

Overland Park, KS

The Johnson County Contractor Licensing Department regulates the construction industry in Overland Park, KS by mandating each General Contractor to hold a license.  The Licensing Department is held responsible for creating the regulations and standards that protect the public when they hire a contractor in the City of Overland Park.

The Johnson County Contractor Licensing Department offers the following classifications for licenses:

  • Class A General Contractor: This will allow contractors to repair, construct, or demolish any building or structure, including commercial or residential.
  • Class B Building Contractor:This will allow contractors to repair, construct or demolish any commercial or residential building or structure that is three stories or less in height
  • Class C Residential Contractor:This will allow contractors to work on any single-family or duplex residence, as well as accessory buildings
*The Licensing Department will also offer other specialty license classes.  Class A, B and C licenses are not able  to perform plumbing, electrical, fire protection or HVAC work.  

Each licensing class is required to choose an individual within their company to represent the business as a qualifying individual.  Business owners and sole proprietors can act as their own qualifying individual.  Otherwise, the company may choose a full-time employee who works 30+ hours each week and will receive a W2.

The qualifying individual must meet at least one of the below requirements:

  1. Complete and pass a required exam through an approved testing administrator.  The exam must be passed with a 75% score or higher.  For further information regarding taking the exam and finding a test administrator, contact the licensing staff.
  2. Hold a Bachelor of Science Degree in Construction Science, Architecture, or Engineering from a University that is accredited.  Copies of the qualifying individual’s degree or official transcripts are needed to be able to provide proof.   The Construction Licensing Board does not count a degree in Landscape Architecture Construction Management or toward the needed requirement.

The qualifying individual or the contractor is required to be able to prove that they have at least five years of experience in the field of general, building or residential contracting.

Each contractor is also required to obtain general liability insurance and worker’s compensation insurance.  Each insurance policy must be with a company licensed to conduct business within Kansas state.  If the contractor does not plan to hire any workers, they are required to complete a worker’s compensation waiver.

*Each form of insurance needs to be current and up-to-date at all times for the contractor’s license to stay active.  

Once a contractor is licensed, all contractors are mandated to participate in the continuing of their education to improve their knowledge of building codes within Overland Park and Johnson County. 

Topeka, KS

Prior to a contractor beginning work on a construction project in the City of Topeka, Kansas, they must obtain a license, as well as have the proper building permits.  Licenses and permits are handed out by the Topeka Development Services Division.

Each contractor must choose a person within their company to act as a qualifying party; they also must be able to represent the business and meet all of the requirements.  If the contractor is a business owner or a sole proprietor, they can act as their own qualifying party.  The qualifying party is also responsible for attending eight hours of continuing education per year.

Question: How do I register my construction company in Kansas? 

 Register your Kansas Business With:

Kansas Secretary of State
Memorial Hall, First Floor 120 S. W. 10th Ave.
Topeka, KS 66612-1594


(785) 296-4564


What forms do I need to register my new company in Kansas?

Register your Business in Kansas                  

Forms   Tax Forms  


Question: How do I look up a company in Kansas or see if a company name is available to register?  

Answer: Use this link to see if your company name is available in Kansas Entity Search