General construction contractors are not typically regulated by Indiana state. However, on the local level through municipalities and counties they are. The majority of local counties/cities will have a requirement to register within the specific agency.

Only plumbing contractors need to be licensed in Indiana. Public Works and Department of Transportation work must be done by certified or prequalified contractors. Before beginning work, you should check for license requirements at the local level.

How to Receive Registration Within Indiana

Check in with your local municipality or county for any regulations. Any further information is able to be viewed at the following:

Indiana Professional Licensing Agency

Experience, Exam, or Education Requirements: Is it Needed For Registration Within the State of Indiana?

Check in with the local municipality or county for any regulations.

Contractor Continued Education: Does Indiana Require It?

Check in with the local municipality and county regulations.

NASCLA Accredited Commercial Contractor: Is the License Able to be Used in Indiana?


General Contractor Commercial Contractor: Is the License Required Within Indiana?

Check in with your local municipalities and county.

Is There Reciprocity in Indiana With Different States?

It’s advised to check with the local municipalities and county.

Indianapolis, IN

General Contractors who are performing work within Marion County and the Consolidated City of Indianapolis must hold a license from The Department of Code Enforcement.  Any business or individual who engages in land alteration, construction, excavation, driveway work or sewer work is required to complete an application and meet the license requirements, which include:

  • Register the specific business name with the entity
  • Complete the license application and send to The Department of Code Enforcement
  • Provide proof that the business has one or more agent who is able to obtain project permits
  • Provide some proof of any general liability insurance
  • Provide some proof of worker’s compensation insurance
  • Provide some proof of a surety bond
  • Pay the necessary license fee
  • Attend a required orientation class within 60 days of obtaining the license
*The Consolidated City of Indianapolis does not include the cities of Speedway, Lawrence, Beech Grove and Southport.  

General Contracting businesses, including partnerships and sole proprietors are required to register their “doing business as” (DBA) name in the county where they are seeking work.  

*In some cases, counties within the state of Indiana do not record or register DBA’s.  In this case, the business needs to complete and send in a written letter stating the county’s policy.  

Complete and submit the application. Attach all necessary documents, including:

  • Provide proof of the DBA registration
  • Provide proof of general liability insurance certificate with a minimum amount of $500,000 per injury and $100,000 per occurrence, OR a combined single limit for a minimum amount of $500,000 per occurrence.
  • If the business plans to hire workers, they must submit some proof of worker’s compensation insurance.
  • Provide proof that the contractor holds a surety bond for the amount of $10,000.
*The names on each document needs to match the name on the application accurately.  

Fort Wayne, IN

Any business or person who is contracting work with construction projects within the City of Fort Wayne, IN must hold a registration or license from The Building Department.  The Building Department will protect the safety and well-being of the public in Fort Wayne to ensure that contractors are qualified to obtain a license.

The Building Department offers the below registration and license options for General Contractors:

  • General Contractor License: This is for businesses and contractors that plan to build, participate, or repair for construction work.
  • General Contractor Superintendent Registration: This is for the contractors who are seeking to supervise construction projects.

South Bend, IN

The Building Department in the City of South Bend, IN and St. Joseph County regulates the construction industry within the local level by needing the General Contractors to obtain a pre-license registration as a Building Contractor in the City of South Bend.

*The only time a contractor will not need to obtain a license is if they are an owner-occupant of the building that they are working on.  

Contractors must  complete an application and then have it notarized.  They are also required to provide some proof that they hold a one-year bond for the amount of $5,000.

Evansville, IN

The City of Evansville, IN and Vanderburgh County has a requirement for all General Contractors to obtain a license before they begin contracting projects for construction.  Licenses are issued from the County Building Commission.  There are two different types of license classifications for General Contractors:

  • Building General Contractor: This will allow a contractor to work on multi-residential, industrial and commercial projects
  • Residential General Contractor: This will allow a contractor to work on one and two-family residential structures, as well as agricultural buildings under two stories in height.

In order to obtain a license, a contractor must complete and submit a license application and background form. Next, it will need to be submitted to the Building Commission along with:

  • 3 Letter of Reference: Assuming the contractor has four years of work experience as a residential or commercial General Contractor
  • Proof of General Liability Insurance: This must meet the minimum amount of 1 million dollars for commercial applicants, as well as $500,000 for residential applicants.
  • Proof of a Surety Bond: This will be in the amount of $15,000
  • Proof of Worker’s Compensation Insurance: if the contractor plans to hire any workers
  • Licensing Fee: commercial applicants must pay a $300 fee and residential applicants have a $175 requirement fee.

Once the Building Commission accepts a contractor’s application, they will have contact Ivy Tech to register for the exam and then pay the examination fee.  The residentialand commercial exams are designed to test an applicant’s knowledge about the trade of general contracting.  Both of the exams are open-book and will be composed of 100 questions.  A minimum score of 70% is required to pass.

City of Indianapolis
Wrecking A Examination
Examination Outline
Open Book
50 Questions – Two-hour time limit
75% Correct Required to Pass

Subject Area                                                      %
Safety                                                                28
General Knowledge                                            6
Code                                                                 16
Quantity Take-off Estimating                             24
Rigging                                                             26

City of Indianapolis
Wrecking C Examination
Examination Outline
Open Book
50 Questions – Two-hour time limit
65% Correct Required to Pass

Subject Area                                                       %
Safety                                                                 28
General Knowledge                                             6
Code                                                                  16
Quantity Take-off Estimating                              24
Rigging                                                               26

Question: How do I register my construction company in Indiana? 

 Register your Indiana Business With:

Indiana Secretary of State
302 West Washington Street, Room E018
Indianapolis, IN 46204


(317) 232-6576


What forms do I need to register my new company in Indiana?

Register your Business in Indiana                  

Forms   Tax Forms  


Question: How do I look up a company in Indiana or see if a company name is available to register?  

Answer: Use this link to see if your company name is available in Indiana Entity Search  


Where can I get the books?

AMAZON – Click on the book to order:

The Blue Book Building & Construction
        (Chicago-N.W. Indiana 2013)

The Blue Book Building & Construction (New York)