Electronic contractors, construction managers, plumbing, HVAC, and public works must all hold a license with the Division of Building Safety, as well as only registering with Idaho State Contractors Board if the individual contracts work outside of the specific license. Any other contractor who engages in contracting or construction activities will need to apply for a registration.

The state of Idaho doesn’t license general contractors working on private sector residential or commercial projects. That’s done at the local level. However the state does license plumbers, electricians, well drillers, fire protection sprinkler contractors, and public works contractors.

How to Register as an Idaho Contractor

  1. – complete the application for the Contractor Registration
    2. Submit both of the Workman’s Compensation and General Liability Insurance Certificates.
    3.  Complete and sign a notarized copy
  2. Include the $30 fee.

Send VIA mail to the following:

Idaho Contractors Board Bureau of Occupational Licenses

Experience, Exam, and Education Requirements for Contractor License in Idaho: Are There any Requirements?

No, there are not.

Idaho Contractor Continued Education: Is it required?

No, it is not.  The renewal process will need to be done annually.  If registering for an individual, the first registration will set to expire during one’s next birthday, plus an added 12 months, as well as needing to be renewed to keep contracting work. The renewal notice will be sent out six weeks before the expiration date for the mailing address you have on file.

NASCLA Accredited Commercial Contractor Idaho License: Is it Accepted Within the State?

No, it is not.

General Contractor Commercial Contractor License: Is it Required in Idaho?

No, it is not required. Only the registration is required.

Does Idaho Have Any Reciprocity With Different States?

Any individual who engages with construction within Idaho needs to be registered.

General Information ((IDAHO Division of Building Safety)

What testing agency/agencies administer and conduct the Division of Building Safety (DBS) exams?

After your application has been approved, DBS will mail you information explaining how to register for the requested exam.

Public Works Information

How can I order Public Works Contractor study reference information?

What Public Works Contractor test will I need to take?

  • If you’re applying for a Class D license, you must complete theClass D Examination (pwf-106)included with the application (or available by clicking here) and submit it with the application. Once your application has been approved and you have passed your examination with a score of 70% or higher your license will be issued.
  • If you are applying for a Class Unlimited, AAA, AA, A, B, CC or C license you must complete theLicense Examination Information form (pwf-106a)and submit it with your application. Once your application has been approved, you will be notified by Division of Building Safety (DBS) via email to schedule your examination at one of our testing sites. Your license will be issued when we receive confirmation that you attained a score of 70% or higher.

(IDAHO Division of Building Safety)

Boise, ID

The City of Boise, Idaho mandates all General Contractors to hold proper building permits for the specific work they are seeking.  Permits are sent out by the City of Boise Planning & Development Services.  The permits for construction need to be in the name of the contractor who is performing the work.  The city offers several types of residential permits for construction.  

*It is illegal for a contractor to engage in work under a permit that is obtained by a property owner within the City of Boise.  

Each contractor is also responsible for undergoing a plan review, as well as paying a fee for review.  Each review fee is determined at 65% of the fee for the building permit.

The City of Boise Planning & Development Services will accept permit applications one of two different ways:

  1. Complete and send in an application via online. Each online submission needs to follow the “Electronic Plan Review Submission Standards” document, which is found online to be able to pass the pre-screen review.
  2. Submit the completed application at the permit counter at: Send in the application via in person or by paper applications that can be sent in to City Hall on Monday-Fridays, during usual business hours.

The City of Boise Planning & Development Services will not accept any application with missing or incomplete information. You must make sure that each application and any required documents are in specific order before submission. Following the checklist included is a must to ensure that all proper documents are submitted by the contractor.

Prior to the city reviewing the contractor’s project or building plans, they will need to pay the fee for plan review. The plan reviews ensure that each project that is done by contractors is within compliance with the specific city codes. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure they go through and attend any plan reviews from the request of the city.

Coeur d’ Alene, ID

The city of Coeur d’ Alene, Idaho ensures that each contractor follows the right ordinance and codes if they wish to participate in the demolition, remodeling, repair, and construction for buildings within the city limits. The Building Services Team will be responsible for regulation of the construction industry, as well as issuing any permits to the general contractors.

The cost of a permit will depend on the specific project that the contractor will intend to perform and the total value of the project.

Idaho Falls, ID

Each general contractor within the city of Idaho Falls, ID is required to hold the proper permits and trade license to be able to perform work with construction projects. Permits and licenses are given by the City Clerk.

Each contractor must pass the qualifying exam, which is administered by Pearson VUE, to be able to receive his or her license. With some cases, an education may count toward the requirement of the exam.

Contractors within the City of Idaho Falls have an option of choosing and following the license classifications:

  • Class A License: This license allows a contractor to perform specific work on building and construction projects of different kinds.
  • Class B License: This allows a contractor to perform work on a commercial building, up to three stories in height
  • Class C License: This will allows a contractors to perform work on one and two-family residential homes.
  • Class D License: This allows subcontractors specializing in a trade, such as drywall, masonry, framing, concrete or roofing, etc.

It takes on average, two weeks, for the City Clerk Office to review an application and then issue a license. Each license will be good for one year. Each license will need to be renewed each year prior to January 31st, in order to avoid penalties and late fees.

Each general contractor will be responsible for holding the needed building permits for the projects.

Pocatello, ID

The City of Pocatello Building Department is held responsible for the issuance of licenses to general contracts who engage in construction work within the city limits. The city will offer 13 different contractor license classifications. The requirements and fees can vary, depending on the chosen classification.

The classifications for major licenses regarding general contractors within the city of Pocatello involve:

  • Class A-1 License: This will allow contractors to perform work on residential and commercial projects.  This specific license classification is required to be registered with the State of Idaho and the contractor must have at least five years of experience in construction work that is commercial based.
  • Class A-2 License: This allows contractors to perform work on only projects that are residential.  This license classification is required to be registered within the State of Idaho and the contractor must have at least five years of experience working on construction that is residential.
  • Class B License: This limits contractors to specialized trade work, such as installation, maintenance and repairs.  Contractors within this classification might not participate with the construction of a structure or building.  The individual is required to also hold a registration from the State of Idaho.

Question: How do I register my construction company in Idaho? 

 Register your Idaho Business With:

Office of the Secretary of State
PO Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720-0080


(208) 334-2301


What forms do I need to register my new company in Idaho?

Register your Business in Idaho                 

Forms   Tax Forms  


Question: How do I look up a company in Idaho or see if a company name is available to register?  

Answer: Use this link to see if your company name is available in Idaho Entity Search