Delaware Contractor Licensing Requirements

Anyone who desires to engaging in a business as subcontractor or contractor within the state of Delaware, whether they are a resident or not of Delaware is required to hold a license from Division of Revenue.

A contractor and subcontractor are:

  • Contractor –  Someone who is engaged within the business of furnishing materials and labors within connection with some or all of the construction, dismantling, alteration, repairing, or demolition of roads, gas mains, water mains, sewers, viaducts, bridges, and all types of structures as an development of real property, alteration, or improvement
  • Subcontractor – Someone or a partnership, corporation, business entity, or firm that enters within a contract directly with a subcontractor or prime contractor.

How to Obtain a Contractor License in Delaware

A contractor who is conducting business type of activity within Delaware will be required to register and obtain a business license from Delaware Division of Revenue.

You must complete and send documentation that is compliant with the necessary bonding requirements, workers and unemployment compensation insurance, as well as the licensing fee. Each form will be included within the Residents Contractors Package, and will be available via the state of Delaware website. Any out-of-state contractors will be required to use the Non-Resident Contractor Package.

Department of Finance; Division of Revenue

Experience, Exam, Education Requirements: Are They Required for Delaware Contractor Licenses?

No, it’s not required at the moment.  Although, Asbestos Abatement Certification will require training and licensing.

Is contractor continued education required in Delaware? Contractor Continued Education: Is it Required in Delaware?

No, it’s not required during this time. The date that licenses expire is on December 31st of each year. The licenses will be renewed for a length of a one-year period. The fee is $75.

NASCLA Accredited Commercial Contractor License: Is it Accepted in Delaware?


General Contractor Commercial Contractor License: Does Delaware Require One?


Is There Reciprocity With Other States?

No, the out-of-state corporations who do business in Delaware have a requirement who will need to register with Delaware Secretary of State.

Question: How do I register my construction company in Delaware? 

 Register your Delaware Business With:

Delaware Secretary of State
PO Box 898
Dover, DE 19903


(302) 739-3073


What forms do I need to register my new company in Delaware?

Register your Business in Delaware                

Forms   Tax Forms  


Question: How do I look up a company in Delaware or see if a company name is available to register?  

Answer: Use this link to see if your company name is available in Delaware Entity Search  


Where can I get the books?

AMAZON – Click on the book to order:

2015 The Blue Book Building & Construction Regional Buyers’ Guide: Eastern Pennsylvania/Delaware

2015 The Blue Book Building and Construction Regional Buyers Guide Eastern Pennsylvania and Delaware